Thursday 24 August 2017

What could have been with Terence Stamp

Do you ever watch a film and think 'I wish so-and-so had been in this'? Or maybe you're favourite actor/actress was originally cast in a film and was then re-cast? Ah, what could have been!
I find myself thinking about this a lot in relation to Terence Stamp-rightly or wrongly I seem to want him in everything!
But here are three films he was almost in, and I really wish he had been!

1. Blow-Up (1966)

Stamp was originally cast in this famous sixties film, but for reasons unknown, Antonioni re-cast his role with David Hemmings instead. Hemmings does a good job in the film but the entire time I was watching it I couldn't help but think what Stamp would have brought to the role. To make matters worse Hemmings is a kind of not-so-good-looking version of Terence Stamp! (ha!)




2. Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

Whilst watching this film for the first time I kept thinking over and over that I wished Terence Stamp had played Montag, but I tried to remind myself that I want him in everything, so that was ridiculous. But then I watched the bonus features on my DVD and discovered that Stamp had originally been cast as Montag! Allegedly he put forward Julie Christie for a part and then dropped out because she ended up playing a dual role and he felt he'd be overshadowed! I felt that Montag's gradual change of heart would have been better portrayed by Stamp, since he really is the master of emotions with no dialogue (see Blue, Far From the Madding Crowd and The Mind of Mr Soames).





3. James Bond

Did you know Stamp was asked to play the famous spy when Sean Connery announced his retirement from the role? He met with directors and said he was willing to do the role, but suggested in order for the audience to get used to him not being Connery, he should wear a disguise for at least half of the film. Apparently this idea was not met with approval and he was never called back. Instead they chose Roger Moore. It's generally agreed upon that when Moore took over the Bond role the films took a turn for the worst (or at least a turn for the silly!) So imagine a young Terence Stamp instead! He probably would have made the films more believable and gritty but instead I'll just have to content myself by watching him in my favourite spy flick Modesty Blaise!!




 Do you have any actors/actresses you wish had been cast in certain films? Let me know in the comments!
And I mean really who wouldn't want this face in everything?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting-please keep comments friendly and polite :)